Monday, August 28, 2006

Guys Weekend.

I need to get some guy friends who when the ever present "guys weekend" comes around it doesn't involve beer and seeing the wrong side of 5am.... followed by a 10:30am Tee Time which of course MUST involve take a guess!!!!

Nothing? You've got nothing?

Come one.. One syllable four little letters.... NO NOT a swear word. well maybe to some...

Ok one more hint... Homer's favorite is Duff....

THAT RIGHT! BEER.... again. I know what your saying... Steve! on 5 hours of sleep... OH NO NO NO!!!! Hit the pillow about 5:30 am. Was awakened prematurely by my cell phone... buddy's couch must not have been too comfortable....it was 6:48 am. "Steve I left my water belt in your car"

"ok... use mine"

"yours isn't here and I don't have time to go get it and still make the 16 mile run"

"what do you want me to do... it's like 6:30 am and I just got to bed at 5:30"

"could you bring it to me?"

"UUUUggggghhhhhhhhhhh..... ok..."(rubbing my eyes trying to find my eyeballs to put them in in the dark in my buddy's living room with 5 other people sleeping on the floor around me.)

So I drive from Lakewood to Breksville to drop off the water belt. (remember I've been asleep for a grand total of 1 hour 18 minutes) Drive back to my house, arrive about 7:30 am. I NEED to be up by 9:30 at the latest to make the tee time.... cuz it's back out past Lakewood, and I live near breksville. Ok so hit my bed about 10 minutes later 7:40ish. LIGHTS OUT! Phone makes noise...... eyes open... I'm not allowed to sleep am I??? It's a text message from my brother... who lives in China. So I text with him for a few minutes.... it's now 8:15.... eyes close again..... seems like 2.5 seconds later my alarm goes off......it's 9:15... I pull myself out of bed and stumble around my room finding my golf clothes.... clubs and shoes are in the car already... Ok this drive is GOING TO SUCK! so I drive out to Highland lakes Golf club for our 10:30 Tee time. Park my car about 10:10.. I'm the first one there. I make my way to the club house... [my mind pleads with all things holy.... If I can't sleep please let me hydrate.... YES YES YES!!! They do.]

Rest of the crazy's show up and we get in line to tee off.. the start is backed WAY up. We're like the 6th and 7th foursomes waiting... and this is when things get bad... we're a bit rowdy to begin with and I'm sure we did not help the concentration of all those as they tee off. I'm watching keeping my mouth shut as they step up one by one and tee off..... This guy with his Nike Shirt and OVERSIZED Diver (probably a $300- $400 club) steps up and puts his ball on his tee... Looks out at the fairway and takes one practice swing....steps up to the ball... looks again at the fairway visualizing his perfect drive no doubt.... draws his club back... swings through the ball... WHAT A HIT.... it went straight back through his legs and hit the tree about 12 feet behind him.... I can imagine that was not the perfect drive he was thinking of. One of his foursome throws a ball at him and says "HIT IT AGAIN"... the ritual begins again.... this time with a much better result... it got past the ladies tee and everything.... went OH... I'd say 220 yards...very impressive drive...if you're teeing off with a 3 Iron.... if that's how you play golf, DO NOT BUY A $400 DRIVER! YOU DON'T NEED IT.... YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!! SO DON'T!!! try learing how to hit regular clubs first so that when you move to a larger more powerful driver you can control it. So at that exact moment one of my 4-some comes up to me and says "I hate this" "What?" I reply. "I hate when you have an audience when I tee off... it makes me nervous", to which I respond in probably not as subtle of volume as I was hoping for "trust me dude you have NOTHING to worry about after that guys monster drive of 12 feet.... straight back!... actually I'll give you $20 if you can do that!!!!" there was multiple snickers and chuckles from people who were not in our 8-some... I hope someone in their party made a joke.... and I wasn't as loud as I think I was.....

I had a great round for me, for having slept for a total of about 3.5 hours. Nice and calm... first 12 holes went very well, par'd 4 holes. I kind of imploded on 13 and had a downward spiral from there... BUT NOT BEFORE the monster drive of monster drives that I've ever had... the guys with me were calculating the distance... they came up with somewhere between 330 and 340 yards.... THAT'S HUGE!!!! maybe I've figured out that driver! Just need some consistency.... so guess what that means... just like this tri stuff... practice. practice practice.!!!!!

See ya'll on the links...and try to get some sleep... I know I'm trying.

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Dang! I am happy to hit 2-250 with my MONSTER driver :) You got skillz!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Rice said...

Why do we (men) do that to ourselves? We normally try and tie in the golf before the all night poker.

I got nailed in the knee at the driving range from a drive like that guy had, from the guy two boxes in front of me. He had no idea, he was looking down range trying to see where his ball went.

Cheers.

Rice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home