Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Waves Waves Waves.......

Wish I had my camera today for to take some pics at the CTC open water swim at the Bay today. By the time the tree of us were finishing up I would say the swells were up to about 3 to 4 feet. I'm telling you! It sure made the swim lots of fun. Only got in a little over a half mile before we called it quits. I even gave up on the extra drag suit because I was worried about my own abilities in these waves. Crazy... didn't think that I would actually spend time in the waves when I was worried about my own abilities. Good work out though... had some fun experiences.

So I'm swimming along... towards the sun, which always make sighting fun!, and I'm trying to judge the size and ferocity of the waves based on how quickly and completely the sun that was visible to through the muck that was the water this evening would disappear into darkness. Fun trying to make those judgments while concentrating on my stroke and be sure to keep it long and powerful.

I always love this part too, when your swimming and you turn your head to breath and you still don't get to see anything because the wave crashes over your head and there is only the sight of running water and bubbles through your vision. It's that clip they use in the movies.... when they're showing someone drowning. You see the rushing water and the bubbles shoot across the screen and then the darkness of the water again.... yeah so that was a fun thought running through my head as I swam across the bay and back... Then I was thinking it's probably good that a couple of the people I know weren't in there swimming today... not any of the CTC members mind you, they all seem VERY competent and level headed. I know a few new swimmers who might have been a bit overwhelmed by the situation.... so it was good they weren't there. That could be very overwhelming for a not so experienced swimmer, so my advice to you if you are not experienced in the waves and rough water DO NOT enter the water when it's 3 to 4 foot swells to swim even a half mile, unless you're sure about how you will react.... I was really not sure how some of my friends would deal with the situation....So be careful when you enter the water!

Keep on Swimming Cleveland & I'll see you in the waves!

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

Lake Erie can turn into a washing machine quick. Glad you had a good workout even if it was cut short!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home