Friday, January 11, 2008

Winter? are you sure?

Monday JANUARY 7th.... seems more like April or early May. So it was darn near 60 today, and guess what that means! BRICK WORKOUT! When it's this nice a day and you've been unable to enjoy running workouts for as long as I have you take advantage of every day you can.

As I've discussed earlier the doctors have given me a thumbs up to start running, and I'm trying to and be careful about it, to be sure NOT to destroy my legs again. With that said, today consisted of an 18 mile ride followed by a 5 mile run.

Due to the lack of running, I have to say that my cycling has improved dramatically. I can finish several hours of cycling, holding about 18 - 20 miles per hour and not be too fatigued in the ol'tree trunks. Finishing the ride this afternoon/evening I felt great heading out to the streets. Bridget came with me for the run today, which is always nice to have a running buddy. I feel bad for her since I used to be her running buddy... and now... well,I struggle to keep up. Bridge is running at a sub 8 minute per mile pace for 5 K's and longer... but I'm working on 9 minute per mile pace for 5 K's right now. We ran 5 miles at a 10 minute per mile pace which was very comfortable for me. I was not struggling/winded/or cramping at all. Last "brick" type workout I did was a triathlon and I was having some cramping issues during the end of the run, so it seems like if I keep myself under control as far as pace goes I can keep the legs moving.

Workout went very well. I am quite please and believe I will start to incorporate a brick once a week into my workout. I think this will be a very good step in the right direction, keep cycling and cross training and add a brick instead of just a run once per week. Maybe next week I'll run 6 miles instead of 5? We'll see. Not putting the distance in front of my leg's healing. I hope you are all well and I look forward to seeing you on the road!!

Keep moving Cleveland!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home